Truth in Advertising – Who is a Cosmetic Dentist?
Let’s say you live in Prospect, Kentucky (Louisville Kentucky), and are looking for a true Cosmetic Dentist, how do you find one? As soon as you starting looking at signs, searching online, or listening to the radio you will realize that everyone is a Cosmetic Dentist, even in Louisville or Prospect, KY!
Just yesterday I did the same thing to see what my patients face when trying to make an educated decision when it comes to selecting a dentist.
Here is what I found:
On the radio you hear a respected person that shall remain nameless (but we all miss her show) advertise for a “chain” of dental offices saying their care is “second to none“. Really, second to none? Wow, that sounds like top quality care!
What labs do they use? Run of the mill labs.
Do their dentists have advanced training warranting their claim? Nope, they sure don’t.
I wonder what “second to none” means to them…
So, this reiterates the general understanding that you can’t believe anything advertised online…kinda sad. I guess that is why it is called “paid advertising.”
So that eliminates listening to radio and TV for suggestions – how about the web?
So here in “Goshen” or “Prospect” we have our own “Cosmetic Dental Experts“! We are so lucky that we even have a new graduate that is a top dental expert! How is that possible? It took me over a decade to develop the skills and experience to consider myself a Cosmetic Dental expert. Hmmm, further review shows that ALL dentists in the area around us are Cosmetic Dental experts. How lucky are we!
It is for this specific reason, the “Wolf in Sheep clothing” epidemic, that you need to dig deeper and learn more about credentials yourself if you want to find a true Cosmetic Dentist. Once you have a “Wolf” dentist experiment with your smile it is too late…
Here are some simple suggestions:
- Don’t be fooled by TV or Radio. Remember, they are paid advertisements
- Don’t look for a Cosmetic Dentist – everyone is a Cosmetic Dentist
- Look for credentials beyond just being a dentist! AACD Accreditation (not just membership, they have to be accredited) is the top cosmetic dental achievement in the World
- Avoid being a test subject – seek out experienced dentists, not new graduates
- Don’t let massages, botox and spa comforts substitute your need for quality dentistry – it is a dental office, not a spa!
- Before and After photos! Yes, all dentists that have done a lot of cosmetic dentistry have hundreds of cases. Make sure what is posted online is their actual work!
I hope this helps you avoid making a mistake that can not only cost you a lot of money, but change how you feel about yourself for years to come…